Fox 45 News
October 14, 2017
(WBFF) — The Maryland Attorney General announced via Twitter his office intends to sue the Trump Administration following the President’s decision to end a provision of the Affordable Care Act that lowers out of pocket costs.
“Trumps threatens the health of more than 400K Marylanders. We will sue to protect them,” Maryland Attorney General Brian Frosh tweeted from his account Friday.
“If this happens and the payments are stopped health insurance premiums for people on the ACA plans would go up,” said Vincent DeMarco, leader of Maryland Citizens’ Health Initiative.
DeMarco supports Frosh’s anticipated lawsuit. The leader of the Baltimore based healthcare advocacy organization said early Friday a consumer had already reached out to him, concerned about the fate of her coverage.
“She wrote me an email desperate to keep the healthcare coverage which has saved her since 2010,” explained DeMarco.
Some are applauding Trump’s executive order and criticizing Frosh’s anticipated lawsuit.
During the election Gary Collins served as Chair of Baltimore City’s Trump Campaign.
Collins argues the President’s move forces Congress’ hand.
“The fact is that congress hasn’t funded the subsidies. The fact is there is no funding for a program that is not a sustainable program to bail out insurance companies,” said Collins.
Collins called Frosh’s promise to sue a political statements.
“I wish the (MD) Attorney General would propose solutions rather than go against what the American people want and that is a fixed system. A healthcare system that works and doesn’t subsidize insurance companies.”
Fox 45 reached out to Frosh’s office for comment.
A spokesperson confirmed Friday the Md AG intends to sue the Trump Administration but details were still being ironed out.
The spokesperson said the office hoped to have an announcement by Monday.Last modified: October 16, 2017