I AM UNINSURED AND SELF-EMPLOYED
As an entrepreneur, you are the engine of our economy. But, being self-employed, you do not currently have access to group coverage, which is generally more affordable and has guaranteed issue, meaning you cannot be denied coverage. However, health reform provides you with new tools and resources to purchase quality, affordable coverage. No longer will the fear of losing health insurance keep Marylanders from starting their own business.
- An interim high-risk pool will provide immediate access to insurance for Marylanders who for at least 6 months have not been able to get coverage because of a pre-existing condition.
- Shop for and compare plans through the new online marketplace called an exchange
- Pool risk with others, thus lowering costs and freeing up revenue
- You could receive subsidies to help buy insurance from the health insurance exchange. Based on your income, there will be a cap on the amount you can spend on your premiums and your out-of-pocket medical expenses will also be capped.
- More choices of health plans through the exchange
- Insurers cannot charge higher premiums or deny coverage because of a pre-existing condition.